NC GreenPower’s Solar+ Schools program launched in 2015. Every year, we provide grants for 5 kW solar educational projects for K-12 schools across North Carolina, complete with a weather station, data monitoring, a STEM curriculum from NEED.org and training for teachers.
You can find answers to many questions in the FAQ section of our website. If you have a question that is not answered on our website, please contact us at email@example.com using the subject line “Solar+ Schools question – [insert school name].”
2022 Solar+ Schools
NC GreenPower is pleased to award our 2022 North Carolina Solar+ Schools with a grant for the installation of an educational solar photovoltaic (PV) array, valued at $42,000. In addition to a solar array, the schools will receive donated SunPower solar modules, STEM curricula, teacher training and more. The new schools join 56 other awardees since the Solar+ Schools program launched in 2015. For the first time, 20 schools will be awarded solar installations, the most in the program’s history.
The schools who have currently accepted the grant are:
- Brevard Academy – Transylvania County | Fundraising Campaign
- Camden Middle School – Camden County | Fundraising Campaign
- Cox Mill High School – Cabarrus County | Fundraising Campaign
- Discovery Charter School – Durham County
- Eckerd Connects Residential Boys Academy – Wilkes County | Fundraising Campaign
- Elon Elementary School – Alamance County
- Fairview Elementary School – Guilford County
- Harrells Christian Academy – Sampson County
- Hope Academy – Guilford County | Fundraising Campaign
- Langtree Charter Academy – Iredell County
- McGee’s Crossroads Middle – Johnston County
- Reid Ross Classical School – Cumberland County | Fundraising Campaign
- Rockford Elementary School – Surry County
- Traphill Elementary School – Wilkes County | Fundraising Campaign
- Watauga High School – Watauga County | Fundraising Campaign
- Winston-Salem Montessori – Forsyth County | Fundraising Campaign
Six more schools will be announced later this summer.
Want to get on our email list for Solar+ Schools updates? VISIT THIS PAGE
|Application Period Opens||January 2, 2022|
|Applications Due to NC GreenPower||by 5pm February 28, 2022|
|NC GreenPoweer Board Committee Review||March 2022|
|NC GreenPower Notifies Selected Schools||by April 15, 2022|
|Deadline for School’s Acceptance of Award||May 10, 2022|
|NC GreenPower Announces Selected Schools (Anticipated)||by mid-June 2022|
|Deadline for School to have Funds||September 30, 2022|
|School Site Walks with Solar Installer||Q4 2022-Q1 2023|
|Expected Start/End Dates for Solar PV Construction||Q1/Q3 2023|
|Virtual teacher curriculum training||March/April 2023|
|*The above dates are tentative and subject to change.|
In addition, awardees receive nearly $14,000 in related benefits, such as:
- Donated SunPower solar modules
- A STEM curriculum
- Teacher training
School fundraising goals will be fixed, based on a scaled model and range from $6,000 – $12,000.
We are also pleased to be partnered with the State Employees’ Credit Union (SECU) Foundation, offering up to $20,000 as part of a challenge grant to select public schools, increasing their system to 5 kilowatts.